Skip to main content

Ethiopia’s media regulating body warns CNN, BBC, Reuters and AP

 

ADDIS ABABA, NOVEMBER 19, 2021 – Ethiopian Media Authority (EMA), Ethiopia’s media regulating body, issued a warning letter to CNN, BBC, Reuters and Associated Press (AP) today to desist from disseminating news that is consistently sowing seeds of “animosity” among Ethiopians and compromising the sovereignty of the country. If not, warned the media authority, the media giants will be stripped off their licenses to operate in Ethiopia.

“EMA, in issuing licenses for journalistic operations, expects reports not to endanger Ethiopia’s national interest, territorial integrity or the peaceful coexistence of the people of Ethiopia.", said the warning letter from EMA.

Despite repeated communication with the international mainstream media (MSM), EMA said there has not been any significant change registered so far.

Therefore, “the responsibility to protect the wellbeing of Ethiopians from dissemination of unsubstantiated information lies with the EMA”, read the letters.

Ethiopia’s media authority accused CNN, BBC, Reuters and AP for manufacturing and disseminating of false news and news analysis on Ethiopia to assist the Tigray People’s Liberation Front’s (TPLF) objective, for reporting Ethiopia’s law enforcement operation in the north as a “genocidal campaign”, for undermining through the news Ethiopia’s government efforts to address humanitarian crisis in Tigray, for reporting that the government is using famine and rape as a weapon of war in the Tigray region, for producing defamatory reports on the country’s leading institutions and for generating news seeking to discredit Ethiopia’s leader in the international arena and put the country under intense diplomatic pressure.

In any case, if the international media groups do not comply with Ethiopia’s request and neglect ethical and professional journalistic operations, the authority said, it will revoke the licenses granted to CNN, BBC, Reuters and AP to operate in Ethiopia.
 
 
It is to be recalled that on November 07, 2021, Ethiopians rallied on the streets of Addis Ababa denouncing US treatment of their country and condemning what seemed like an organized disinformation campaigns waged against Ethiopia by the international mainstream media such as CNN, BBC and others since the conflict began in north Ethiopia. 
 
CNN especially widely reported weeks ago that TPLF terrorists were at the outskirts of Addis Ababa while, on November 12, the BBC released an interview with US General William Zana with a sensationalized title "US troops are ready to respond" to the crisis in Ethiopia. But after a huge uproar from Ethiopians who read this as a threat from the US to invade Ethiopia, the BBC retracted the title and replaced it with "US fears regional impact".
 


Comments

Check out our popular posts.

EXCLUSIVE: Dr. Tedros’ Misconduct Defiles The WHO & Disrespects His Compatriots

This objective observation alone should be enough to relinquish him of his duties. The longer that he remains in his role, the worse that the WHO and its UN parent organization’s reputation will become. By Andrew Korybko —  American political analyst Ethiopia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs filed an official objection to the misconduct practiced by World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. They drew attention to how he’s consistently abused his high office to meddle in his homeland’s internal and foreign affairs. He’s also accused of continuing to remain a member of the terrorist-designated TPLF that’s responsible for bringing untold suffering upon millions of people in northern Ethiopia as a result of the war that it started in early November 2020. Furthermore, the objection details other examples of Dr. Tedros’ misconduct. For instance, he’s accused of inflating the emergency level in Ethiopia in order to warrant a humanitarian interven

EXCLUSIVE: The Nobel Committee Has A Mistaken Assessment Of PM Abiy’s Commitment To Peace

With all due respect to this prestigious organization, the Norwegian Nobel Committee needs to reassess its understanding of the ongoing situation in Ethiopia. It’s the TPLF, not PM Abiy, that’s responsible for continuing the war. By Andrew Korybko —  American political analyst Chair of the Norwegian Nobel Committee Berit Reiss-Andersen said in a statement to AFP that “As Prime Minister and winner of the Peace Prize, Abiy Ahmed has a special responsibility to end the conflict and contribute to peace. The humanitarian situation is very serious and it is not acceptable that humanitarian aid does not get through sufficiently.” This is a mistaken assessment that’s inconsistent with the facts. PM Abiy has consistently worked towards peace in his country but it was victimized by a US-led Hybrid War of Terror waged by TPLF proxies who wanted to seize power at all costs. Even so, the Ethiopian leader still recently made enormous strides towards that end following the TPLF’s c

TPLF has began massacring civilians in Raya and May-Tebri

Conflict zones from Dec 2021 to Jan 2022 [Picture: ACLED/EPO] ADDIS ABABA, JANUARY 12, 2022, — Immediately after Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF) terrorists claimed they have halted their offensive, they began shelling Aballa town, Afar region, killing civilians including children and now reports are surfacing that they are committing massacres on civilian population in Raya and May-Tebri. "The official talk is as if we were in postwar period. But as we speak now TPLF is again brutally attacking our people in Raya and Mai-Tebri. I have received reports that TPLF soldiers massacred civilians in Waja and Addis-kegn villages of Raya", said Belete Molla, Minister of Innovation and Chairman of the opposition party National Movement of Amhara (NAMA). Brook Abegaz, another opposition figure who ran in elections independently in Wollo, said that TPLF forces have already captured northern part of Raya and Wag and he said they have already started building trenches. He al